25.9.09

'Savage' Lib Dem Platitudes


It appears the Liberal Democrats are misbehaving again by using me to score party-political point scoring. Now I am not used to sitting back and this is no exception, especially when my antagonisers are as hypocritical as a vegetarian turkey farmer.

In a week when the Liberal Democrats are calling for public sector pay freezes for some of the poorest workers, how dare they manipulate my words and sentiments to lie, scheme and genuinely be dishonest. For them the lessons of the last year have suddenly changed and the guilty are no longer the bankers, the financial sector nor the super rich, but a hospital porter, a paramedic, a lollipop lady and a care worker. This is total rubbish and hypocrisy. I, and people I know in the Labour Party, believe in social justice and that means protecting public services, but honest enough to know that sometimes you have to make tough choices. After-all, who has pumped billions of pounds into the NHS and education since 1997?

The cynical forces of the Liberal Democrat machine would have you believe that I, as a Labour Party candidate, cannot think nor have a view for myself. Am I therefore to understand that Liberal Democrat candidates are drones of a central brain?

Of course not and neither is anyone engaged in politics. The Liberal Democrats are deliberately misrepresenting my comments and it begs the question, who would you rather trust?

Politicians need to be more responsible and campaign by talking about the issues and how we are to tackle them. These silly Lib Dem platitudes do all people involved in politics a dis-service and alienate people from the political process.

A recent comparison of both the Lewisham Lib Dem and the Lewisham Green Party websites have shown quite clearly to me that the Greens are willing to engage in real politics, not the childish squawking provided by the Lib Dems.

Finally, all of us are working hard to make our area a better and safer place to live. There are ways we can do this together, without tribal distinctions; alas I fear the upcoming campaign will not show the best of all the parties.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the compliment on our website Paul! There did seem to be an awful lot of petty party political point scoring at full council last night, which is tiresome and enough to put many off local politics, but I fear this will only increase between now and the elections next May!

Paul Bell said...

Sue - you're welcome and your website is streets ahead of the Lib Dems who I am sorry to say have lost all repsect with me. And you're completely right, the election I fear is going to put even more people off politics.